The Spotsy Arts Festival Committee (SAF) is aware there are some “emerging” or “struggling” artists who do not have the financial means to enter a variety of art events or create a body of work for an event like the SAF. In support of this Community, SAF has established a special category to showcase some of these artists. Please carefully read the “Qualifications” and the “Application Instructions” in this document and the “Rules and Waivers” in the Application.
All items for sale in exhibitor areas must be handcrafted by participants. Any person exhibiting manufactured items in this area will be REMOVED ON THE SPOT.
- Bath and Body
- Ceramics & Glass: Functional and sculptural work is accepted. Kiln forming, blowing, molding or casting, as well as all cold working processes are permitted.
- Digital Art: Two-dimensional work created by the artist using computer technologies.
- Fiber: All work created from fibrous materials, such as baskets, leather, books, embroidery, paper, quilts, weavings, felting, etc.; both wearable and non-wearable.
- Fine Arts/Graphics: All pieces of art created with the use of chalk, charcoal, pastels, pencils and ink, watercolors, oil, alcohol inks and acrylic paintings.
- Furniture: Original, handmade furniture designed and fabricated using raw/unfinished material.
- Gourmet Food Products: Packaged dips, food, or desserts.
- Jewelry: Objects created with the intent to be worn as ornamentation by fabricating various materials including gems, fine metals and semi-precious stones.
- Metal: Three-dimensional artwork created by the artist through the forging, twisting and fabricating of various metals.
- Mixed Media: Work in which two or more mediums are combined to form one piece.
- Photography: Photography, both digital and film, that has not been manipulated to achieve results beyond what could be produced in a traditional dark room.
- Wood: All work created by the artist that is hand-tooled, machine-worked, built-up, turned or carved in wood.
- Miscellaneous: If you feel as though your product does not fit into the above categories, please select miscellaneous and give a detailed description of what you are looking to sell.
The Spotsy Arts Festival Coordinator reserves the right to recategorize an artist’s submission and the artist will be notified of any changes.
This Event is free to those who meet the following qualifications –
- A resident of Spotsylvania County,
- Has not participated in this event before, and
- Has not sold more than three works of art in the past year and none of them sold for more than $100.
In addition to being selected to participate in the SAF, the Festival’s Jury Committee will select winners in the following categories on Friday prior to the Artist’s and Exhibitors Reception. The decision of the Jury is final.
Best in Show — $500
Honorable Mention — $250
Judge’s Choice — $100 (3 awards)
- Winners will also receive free shared Exhibitor Space where they can show and sell their work
- Tent, tables, table cloths, hanging system, chairs and sales supplies will be provided. Exhibitors are encouraged to bring floor and table easels.
All Exhibitors are encouraged to attend the Artist’s and Exhibitors Award Reception
where the prizes will be awarded.
- Please include payment in full with your application.
- If paying with credit card, please visit SpotsyArtsFestival.com and follow the directions to pay via PayPal.
- If paying with check or money order, make payable to JART, Inc. Be sure to have your company’s/applicant’s name, and your contact information is included.
- Completed Form, Pictures and Payment may be mailed to Spotsy Arts Festival, PO Box 274, Montross, VA 22520
- Checks will be deposited upon receipt. Please note that a deposited check does not equal acceptance into the show.
- Booth fee payments will be returned in full less a $25 processing fee if you are not accepted into the show.
- A $35 fee will be charged each time a check is returned for insufficient funds
Application Due Date
- Applications are due NLT November 1
- Applications after that date will not be considered.
All applications must be accompanied by four photographs showing samples of your work and one showing you at work. The preferred method of submitting your application and photographs is via electronic application or via the email – Applications@SpotsyArtsFestival.com. Images should be of jpeg/gif/tiff format with image size less than 1.8 MBs and at least 300 dpi. Your First and Last Name and Genre of product must be included separately and not on the photograph.
Alternatively, photos may be mailed with the application to – Spotsy Arts Festival, PO Box 274, Montross, VA 22520. Please include a self-addressed, stamped envelope with your entry form only if you want your photos returned. Please note any specific requests that you may have on the application form. We will try, but cannot guarantee all requests.
It is understood that any of these photos can be used in any The Spotsy Arts Festival promotional materials.
All applications will be juried by the FESTIVAL JURY COMMITTEE.
The decision of the Jury is final.
- Accepted Exhibitors will be notified via email by December 31. (No rejection letters will be sent.) They will also be announced on the SAF website – www.SpotsyArtsFestival.com.
- The minimum number of pieces your work that must be for sale will be defined in the notification of your acceptance. However, it is suggested that you have more than the required pieces on hand in anticipation of sales.
NOTE: It is understood that the winners will —
- To the best of their ability, participate in selected advertising and promotional events
Realizing that some of those applying for this event may not have funds to purchase the supplies and materials needed to build a body of work for this Festival, application for assistance can be made to JART, Inc. Application information available upon request – email – SAF@SpotsyArtsFestival.com.
Tentative Festival Schedule
Friday 8 am – 4 pm Set Up (a detailed site map and instructions for setup/unloading/loading will be sent prior to the Festival)
Friday 5 pm – 7 pm Reception/Awards Ceremony. All participating artists are encouraged to attend.
Saturday 10 am – 6 pm Spotsy Arts Festival hours
Sunday 11 am – 5 pm Spotsy Arts Festival hours
Sunday 5 pm -? Take down
Exhibitors may cancel a show for any reason, however, if financial assistance has been obtained it must be returned in full at the time of cancellation.